Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lilah

Lilah’s Story

I remember looking at Lilah in the hospital the day after we had her and thinking “She’s only a day old and yet it seems like she’s always been with us”. And it did- for 9 months we waited for her, talked about her, included her in our prayers and had nights where our entire family had their hands on my belly feeling her move and twist inside of me. When we finally got to meet her face to face it was like seeing her again after being apart for a long time. And after nine months of not being able to decide on a name, I knew the instant I saw her. “Little Lilah” I thought. She was little, an entire two pounds smaller than her big sister and this story is about her- our little Lilah bean.

Friday morning didn’t come soon enough. The days leading up to my planned cesarean seemed to drag on forever. And as any pregnant woman in her last few days can tell you, you start to get a little crazy. And isn’t it funny how no matter how badly you wish the day would come, you always find yourself wishing it didn’t come and go so fast? I do. Even as I sit here and type, my little Lilah is only five days old and I can’t believe I really just had a baby, stayed in a hospital and am already home. I guess some things are meant to be, and Lilah is one of them.

So back to Friday- we got to get up early (4am!). I was surprisingly calm as I walked into the hospital knowing that in a few short hours I would have a baby. It was still dark out, the hospital was calm and quiet and I got all settled in a small L&D room. Wrist bands, IV, hospital gowns, the whole thing. I kept glancing at the clock wishing time would go by quicker. John and I didn’t talk about much, just watched some TV and made the occasional comment on wishing the time would go by faster. I remained quite calm until I saw my doctor walk in around 6:45am. He looked ready to go and it finally hit me that I actually was having a baby! When I finally did get the OK to head to the OR things started happening quickly. John had to wait outside while I got my spinal. I started shaking I was so nervous and remember saying to my doctor that getting an epidural is a lot easier when your in labor! My doctor asked me what kind of music I wanted to listen to and I wasn’t sure what he was talking about- until I realized that he brought his ipod. He ended up turning on some salsa music and joked that the baby might come out moving her hips! John came in and just like that the surgery began. (Okay I have to say- when John told me that they had already started cutting me open I thought to myself “Aren’t we going to have a prayer first??”) The surgery went quick and the next thing I knew I heard my doctor say “Who wants to see a baby?” and John jumped up with the camera. As soon as they held her up over the curtain a huge feeling of relief came over me. I made it! She’s here! Everyone is okay! “She’s screaming!” My doctor said. “As long she doesn’t scream for three months” I said. “Oh no, that would be terrible. I don’t think she will. I have a good feeling about this one.” was his response. So far, he’s been right. Lilah is the kind of baby the phrase “sleep like a baby” comes from. We are only hoping that she stays this way!

Our recovery room was great- big, beautiful and most importantly, private. John got to stay with us every night and all the nurses were so nice. Some friends of ours from church had a baby two days before and we got the room right next to them so John had a buddy to hang out with when Lilah and I got boring. The food was very good and all in all the stay was wonderful! The best part of course was being able to bring home a healthy baby. So far Lilah is a great baby. I’m trying to enjoy her as a newborn, because I know it goes by so quickly, and even though I am excited for her to grow and be able to go do things as a family, I know that her time as a newborn is short and I want to cherish every moment I can. I finally believe all my friends and family members who told me that yes, you will love your second baby as much as your first! Lilah is like a dream come true. A dream John and I have had since before we even knew each other and are beyond grateful we were able to help our Heavenly Father in bringing her to this earth. We love you Lilah, and will be here for you for and with you for every step you take on your journey through life!



11 Comments:

  1. Schmath said...
    I just can't get over the name Lilah. I wish I had a kid named Lilah. And I love that you call her Lilah bean
    (even though I hate lima beans.)
    Jamie Onken said...
    I was crying the whole time I read that post! I'm so happy for you guys. That almost made me want another baby...almost.
    Amanda Lamb said...
    Congratulations! What a relief to know that it truly is possible to love the second as much as the first... I'm nervous about that myself! She's beautiful, and I, too, love the name.
    Aunt Corinne said...
    The story was beautiful and the baby is so breath-taking. I am so proud of you and John. Love you both so much.
    Carrie said...
    I've read many birth stories before, but Lilah's is so sweet! Congratulations!
    sheri said...
    Yay! I'm so glad you blogged these last 2 entries! How are things going? I've been thinking about you and hoping all is well. She's beautiful!
    J said...
    OOOOOOOOOHHHHH this was a VERY, VERY, VERY, good post. I LOVE THE NAME LILAH! You're a freakin genius!
    Anonymous said...
    Thanks for posting "Lilah's Story." You two are THE most fabulous parents in the world. Lilah and Devan are such lucky girls. We can't wait to see Lilah again! Hilary is dying to see and hold her. Lilah is gorgeous. Keep us posted -- Mom Wallet
    grandma kelly said...
    You are so right, Cathy. John and Morgan make a wonderful team. I so enjoy watching them love and support each other and their "kids"! I couldn't have wished for a better husband for Morgan and or a better father for my grandkids. You guys did a great job!
    cindy r said...
    very cute! she is a doll! i can't wait to actually meet her! :) call if you need anything! we love having Devan over
    J said...
    I look at this picture at least once every day...she is SO PRECIOUS!

Post a Comment