Monday, May 04, 2009

What Do You Do?

When you are up all night with a newborn and then have to stay awake all day with a 3 year old? I'm serious. What do you do? Lilah has had more bad nights than good lately. She's still a way better baby than Devan was, and I don't think she has colic, but she tends to have these bad nights where she's awake and fussy. Not screaming, just fussy and won't fall asleep. I've tried keeping her up during the day and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is this normal? Am I going to have to get used to getting 2 hours of sleep until she starts sleeping through the night? And at what age do babies start sleeping through the night, anyway? (Can you tell I'm sleep deprived? I swore after I had Devan I would never have another. I'm starting to feel that way again). Any advice is welcome. Advice and free babysitting.

8 Comments:

  1. Ruth said...
    I am so sorry! I can't say I know what you are going through, because Kate was a great sleeper at night. I think every baby is different, but I also think two things help: your diet and a swaddling blanket.

    I know people think I am crazy and that it does not matter what you eat, but I noticed a difference with both girls. I did not eat anything that would cause gas - no chocolate, strawberries, garlic, onions, tomatoes, cabbage, brocolli, etc. They were really good babies. On the rare occasion I ate something I shouldn't have, they were cranky and would scream and would not sleep. So, my opinion is that what you eat matters, but I realize people disagree, and you have to do what you think is right.

    We swear by the swaddling blanket, and know several people who also swear by it. It didn't matter how well Ashley or Kate were swaddled in a receiving blanket - they always got out. But, the swaddling blanket kept them wrapped up and helped them sleep better. One of my older brothers and his wife had a baby the same time we had one. They were desparate for sleep. I told them about the swaddling blanket, but they didn't try it until later when they ran out of all other ideas. They bought one and their baby slept through the night the first night they used it. The blankets are only $10 at Babies R Us.

    Of course, all babies are different, so it is possible these things will not help - they are just what I think helped our girls. I hope you find something to help get you through this very difficult time. It is also good to have a break. I wish I were closer to help you. Hopefully you can find someone soon. Good luck!
    Anonymous said...
    I can come down Friday morning if you'd like. I can watch Lilah and Devan and you can SLEEP! Let me know.

    Grandma Wallet
    Anonymous said...
    P.S. Most of my kids starting sleeping 5 or 6 hours at night when they were six weeks old. Does that give you hope?

    Gma. Wallet
    Jackie said...
    I'm going to ask my Mom because I love you but I don't have any helpful hints...she had six babies she must know something...and CarolLynn has a three year old and a two year old and a one year old and is pregnant with the zero year old...maybe she knows too...I'll get you help friend!!!!!!
    Jackie said...
    I'm going to ask my Mom because I love you but I don't have any helpful hints...she had six babies she must know something...and CarolLynn has a three year old and a two year old and a one year old and is pregnant with the zero year old...maybe she knows too...I'll get you help friend!!!!!!
    Jackie said...
    P.S. You're my hero. And you're the bomb-diggity. Even though I run from bombs.
    Kim Dubois said...
    Mo, when you wrote that post called Lilah's Story a little while ago, it was like I was reading exactly what I had written in my journal a few weeks earlier. And now this post is like I'm reading exactly what I was thinking a few weeks ago. But now I have a 6-week-old and everything is a million times better. I'm sure it will get better for you really soon too.
    Carrie said...
    swaddling is insanely important. when people say there baby doesn't like it I have to laugh. ALL babies love it, just make sure it is done right. Brianna was a screamer until 5 months old when I friend swaddled her. and Kai was awesome because we did it from the beginning. Other than that, a schedule helps a ton. Eat, play, sleep on a 3 hour rotation. It's tough at first, but she should be sleeping through the night soon:)

Post a Comment