Sunday, November 04, 2007

American as apple pie

It seems like all I ever hear from Morgan is, "Doesn't pie sound good?" After hearing it for so long I finally took the hint and made a pie.

We had some many apples of varying varieties left over from our trip to See Canyon that I had to do something. I have never made an apple pie but thought it would be a nice addition to my repertoire. I used about 6 apples in total. 4 were Alabama Black and 2 were Heaven Sent.

The Alabama Black are not very juicy and kind of tart. I thought they would be good for keeping liquid to a minimum within the pie. The Heaven Sent are fairly juicy and pretty sweet, a good balance for the tartness. The apples were layered in thin slices due to the Peel-Slice-Core Machine. It think this made the difference. The thin slices and caramelized sauce helped to hold the pie together after being cut. I enlisted some child labor to help.



I used this recipe but made some changes of my own. I added Cinnamon and Nutmeg and substituted the water with apple juice. Then added a splash of vanilla extract.

I used a ready-made pie crust because I didn't have the patience to make one. Then I added some pieces of flare.


The pie turned out quite well I must say.

2 Comments:

  1. Alissa said...
    mmmm... pie...

    my question: were there 21 pieces of flare?
    J-Dub said...
    The minimum is 21 pieces. But we encourage you to have more.

Post a Comment