Saturday, March 14, 2009

Unless this is your first time visiting our blog, you are well aware of the fact that John and I are having a baby. In less than 5 weeks!

Naturally, I am full of many emotions. Some days I find myself getting so irritated with Devan that I want to pull my hair out-(I do not usually feel this way and I totally blame the pregnancy for it!) and some days I find myself holding on to her so tightly and wondering: Is it actually possible that I'll love my new baby as much as I love her?

On the baby front we have almost everything ready. Devan is finally potty trained and I am thrilled that I will not be buying diapers times two. Devan is seriously looking forward to being a big sister. She can't wait to teach the baby how to do everything.

On the home front- just as the condo that we've been waiting on for oh, six months or so was ready to finally enter escrow we changed our minds. This is a little discouraging for many reasons, but the good news is we found one we like better. It's actually a little smaller but almost completely remodeled and looks beautiful! Now I won't have to worry about moving and having a baby at the same time. If all goes to plan, we will be proud first time home owners in six months or less! ( Can you sense my sarcasm?)

Questions:

The girls bedroom in the new condo is SMALL. The dilemma: Should we buy bunk beds? Bunk beds tend to scare me. I'm leaning more towards a trundle bed. This would obviously be for when the baby is out of a crib. Any thoughts?

Crown molding. Have you put it in yourself? Is it easy? I am convinced that John could easily do it but he is in denial. I think he secretly just doesn't want to.

Hospital bags. What do you pack in yours? I tend to totally over pack or totally under pack and even though I've had a baby before I don't remember what I used or didn't use. Should I bring anything different for a planned cesarean?

I thought I had more but I guess that's it. Thanks for the advice!!

15 Comments:

  1. Schmath said...
    Crown molding is HARD! Ryan put some it, but had to have someone help him who knew how to do it--something was tricky about cutting the angles. I think my dad did his own though.
    J said...
    Bunk beds are WONDERFUL1 I grew up my ENTIRE life with a giant bunk bed my dad made all in oak. And Paul and Mark had a bunk bed. A few notes though: Boys should not have bunk beds although they love them. They are a little more wild in them. 2. It completely depends on the type of bunk bed you have. I don't like metal ones. I don't like ones that are made out of wimpy wood. Ours was made out of giant oak beams. We could move around a lot and the bed did not move. 3. kids really do fall out of bunk beds. So the bed must have (in my opinion) a giant beam that holds the top kid in. Ours was not a little handrail or a double hand rail. The person on the top was held in by a giant beam. 4. The ladder should be built on to the bed. It should not be attached or an appendage. Did you ever see ours as bunk beds and not seperated? You could just climb up from the end of the bed. There was no extra ladder or anything. The ladders are the dangerous part. 5. In short get a trundle bed unless John wants to make a bunk bed. If he does then I can give him the plans my dad used...
    On a positive note I LOVED our bunk beds and I felt extra safe sleeping in them. I felt more protected. because I was up high or if I was no the bottom I felt like I was in my own enclosed space. Our bunk beds lasted more than twenty years.
    J said...
    And I am so excited for the baby!!!!!!
    Kendra said...
    For a C-section...you will be there longer...so more clothes. :) I would also bring some reading material for down time and slipper (for all the walks they make you take).
    As for bunk beds...my sister has her kids in them (they started at 3 and 18 months). They got theirs from Ikea and it works well. They put a guard on the lower bunk for my niece and my nephew sleeps on the top and it has a built in guard. But my sister and I had a trundle for 13 years and I loved it and they have really cute ones at Ikea too! It's a toss up really.
    Anonymous said...
    If you use a trundle, you will have to pull it out and put it in every day, unless you leave it out, in which case you lose floor space. And, if you do put it in and out, who will pick up the toys every night to be able to pull it out. And, who will make it every morning to put it away? Hmmm . . .maybe that would be MOM! Just a thought.
    Schmath said...
    I had a trundle bed, but I don't think I ever made it-I just shoved it back under. So messy people can have one too. But maybe my mom made it, and I just never realized. Will Devan accidentally step on her little sister in the middle of the night?
    sheri said...
    I'm so excited for you! My personal thing w/bunkbeds is the danger of a 1yo climbing up there. Plus, it can't be all that easy to change those sheets on the top, right? We may end up getting them if we're still in this apartment much longer, but those are my issues.
    I think all I really bring to the hospital are some clothes, toiletries (I showered/blow dried my hair and put on some make up every day I was there...well, after I was allowed out of the bed), a magazine or 2, list of phone numbers along w/a calling card (no cell phones at our hospital) and the blanket/clothes for the baby to come home in. Oh, and nursing pads. And a camera.
    J said...
    Other baby names I liked Chloe, Tabitha, Tessa, Sasha...
    J said...
    I really like Delaney...have you nailed it down to that yet? I think Devon and Delaney is cute...and then one day you can have a Deidra...
    Anonymous said...
    I would wait for the bed thing until the new one is about 1 year old or older. We had bunk bed and I had to be on top and fell off the ladder I don't know how many times. Trundle bed is a lot of work every day and takes up floor space. Wait and and get a small crib for now. For your bag..remember camera, battery charger and phone charger. When Carolyn had her baby we keep running out of batteries, especially when we were calling everyone on the phones. Include, hair brush, or scrunchy, headband, something to help with the hair. Even if you have a c-sec they send you home after a couple of days.

    Also, what size is Devan wearing in shoes and clothes.
    Mo said...
    Corinne, she wears size 4. And I will be using a crib- I wouldn't put a baby in a bunk bed :)
    Quinn said...
    Remember when I fell out of the bunk bed and fractured my arm? Remember how we used to share a bunk bed?
    J-Dub said...
    Q you are always getting hurt somehow. It's those lucky Irish Kelly genes.
    J said...
    Just to give another push for a good set of bunk beds...we had six kids and no one ever broke an arm or leg or cracked a head on our bunk beds... I'll try to find a picture of ours so you can buy one more like it...
    Anonymous said...
    I know you wouldn't but the baby in a bunk bed, just when she is older. Did you pick a name yet???

Post a Comment