Wednesday, June 03, 2009
Note: This post contains postpartum details again. Those of you who are not interested can stop reading.
Good News: Lilah slept from 10:15 to 4:15 last night! This is by far her longest stretch yet!
Bad News: My breast infection turned 8cm abscess/staff infection left me in the hospital for three nights in isolation, unable to nurse or even see my baby. I got horribly sick with chills and fevers and my Ob sent me to the ER. I got this infection while in the hospital with Lilah, but didn't do anything about it until it was too late. I mean, when is a good time to leave a sick baby in the hospital, anyway? By the time I had the abscess drained (3 times. most escruciating pain of my life. seriously, I'd rather have a baby) and got the Ok to breastfeed I was left with basically no milk. Now I get to focus all my energy on getting my supply up and trying to get Lilah interested in nursing again. Advice on this topic is welcome. I have a pump and am pumping away.
Here are only a few tender mercies that have been on my mind over the past six weeks:
We live near great hospitals. I mean, we couldn't live any closer to a childrens hospital. I can't imagine having a baby in the hospital and having to commute every day to see her. The nurses and staff were amazing! So accommodating and super nice.
Family. We have said a hundred times, had we moved to Chicago and had no family near by the past six weeks would have been a whole lot worse. Every weekend since I had Lilah we've had my Mom or Mother in law down here helping us out. They have both been willing to drop everything and come help us. What would we do without our mothers?
Our ward is amazing. We haven't even had to ask and people have brought us meal after meal, and taken Devan everywhere for me from church to the beach.
Our doctors. We had great doctors in the hospital, a great pediatrician who not only told us to take Lilah to the hospital in the first place but also visited us in the hospital and called to check up on us. And has always made same day appointments.
My doctor. I have the tendency to feel emotionally attatched to the men that deliver my babies. My OB is AMAZING! He has always been totally available. I can always get ahold of him. I've called him at least once every week since I delivered for some problem or another. He always fits me into his schedule even on holiday weekends when he is booked and has even taken the time to sit down with me when I stopped by without an appointment. He got me into the ER super fast when I was sick with my mastitis and came to see me every day in the hospital. He's been sensitive and accommodating to my every wish since the beginning of my pregnancy. Seriously, if you live in south OC and need a good OB, call me.
My hubby. I don't think there's many men who could go through what we have gone through and survive. John totally stepped up when I was in the hospital and played Mr. Mom. He got up at night with the baby and took care of both Devan and Lilah during the day. He has taken off a ton of work and been totally understanding every time I've broke down crying (which has been alot). He's never hesitated to do anything I've asked and has always been willing and available to help. I think I'll keep him around for a while.
Here's little Lilah @ 6 wks. No more picc line. No more antibiotics. Same goes for me. Here's to hoping our future is hospital free for a long, long time!
4 Comments:
-
- J said...
9:23 PMAll I have to say is, "8 cm What in the WORLD!" That is insane. Insane amounts of pus and pain and seriously...just ugh.- Aund Corinne said...
2:27 PMIt is just about over...and the blessing this weekend should put you all in a god-loving frame of mind. Wish I could be there, but have to get Grandpa and Grandma ready to move. Love all of you- J said...
12:04 PMI mailed your Birthday Packet today! YAY tomorrow is your birthday and Isaku's WAHOOOOOO!- Schmath said...
5:09 PMHappy Birthday!