Saturday, July 26, 2008

Like most mothers, I've had many experiences where complete strangers have told me how beautiful they think my baby is. I don't mind. In fact, I agree. Of course I think my baby is beautiful. Every mother thinks her baby is beautiful.

What I do mind, however, is when complete strangers come up to me and tell me they think my baby looks like someone else. Not someone else they know, or someone else I know. Yes, I've had several experiences when women have told me that my baby looks like Violet or Shiloh. You don't know who Violet and Shiloh are? Let me introduce you to the babies that my baby allegedly looks like. Violet Affleck:

Yesterday I was checking out at Old Navy and a 20-something girl said to me: "Oh. My. Gosh. Your daughter looks just like Violet Affleck. Do you know who I'm talking about? She looks just like her!" I nod and slightly smile. What am I supposed to say? "Actually, I don't think she looks anything like Violet" came to mind but I kept my mouth shut.

Enter Shiloh Jolie-Pitt:

Last year I was waiting for a flight in SLC airport. I took Devan to a little kids play area they had (such a great idea, btw! Why don't all airports have those?) and there was a girl that looked like she was in high school sitting with some friends. I later found out that this girl was a mother as well and was watching her child play also. She and her friends started talking and pointing to Devan. Then one of them said, "Your baby looks just like Shiloh! You know, Brad Pitts baby? Oh my word, she looks just like Shiloh". I don't know what disturbed me more, that these people were pointing and looking at my baby or that they referred to a celebrities baby like they knew her personally. I smiled and nodded.

This is not the only time someone has said Devan looks like Shiloh. I, of course, completely disagree. Here are a couple of my favorite photos of Devan.




Not only do I not see similarities between Devan, Violet and Shiloh, all I do see is John. The end. Who do you think she looks like?

6 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    She looks like the mailman
    Anonymous said...
    Just kidding Mo...she resembles more of John's feminine features.
    Mo said...
    very funny!
    Jo said...
    I don't care who she looks more like-- fact: your baby is gorgeous. but if I had to venture, between violet, john and shiloh-- i guess i'd have to say shiloh. Sorry john. :)
    Haro Family said...
    I don't watch TV anymore, so I wouldn't even know who these little baby celebrities were. It's funny how some people get obsessed with Celebs. I think that Devan has the best features of both of you! She's adorable!
    Anonymous said...
    She is beautiful Devan and I can't wait to see her and be around you guys for 10 days...look out Hawaii!!

Post a Comment