Monday, July 07, 2008

Looking For A Recipe

I need new recipes for ground beef or turkey. In a bad way. I always buy it cause it's usually pretty cheap but I always end up making the same meals, which usually consist of spaghetti sauce, tacos and the occasional hamburger or meatloaf. If anyone out there has a favorite/good recipe involving ground beef, please send it my way! The Strategically Placed Amigo family members will be very grateful!

11 Comments:

  1. sheri said...
    It's not too exciting, but I got it from Shandrea last year. I ground the beef (although I actually usually use turkey), maybe add in some onions. I then add in 1/2-3/4 can of pasta sauce. I pour it all into a 7x11" casserole dish. I then pour over that a bag of frozen veggies (mixed works well, but whatever you have) I then mix up 1 bag of those instant mashed potatoes from Costco. (I can't handle eating them "plain", but it works w/this dish. Plus, it's easy) Layer the mashed potatoes over the veggies and bake @ 350 for 20ish minutes. Sometimes I'll even add some shredded cheese on top.

    I'm looking forward to getting some more recipes, too. I always have tons of ground turkey, but we're getting tired of the same things.
    J-Dub said...
    I hear that Rob will only eats invisible food topped with air sauce. That's how picky he is. So Shandrea must have had lots of leftovers.

    That recipe sounds like it has "too much sauce"!
    Kim Dubois said...
    Here's the world's easiest taco soup:

    Brown 1 pound of ground beef/turkey and season it like you're making tacos (1 packet of taco seasoning). Add 2 cans corn, 2 cans kidney beans, and 3 cans Mexican style stewed tomatoes (chopped up a little). Don't drain any of the cans. Cook it on medium for 20-30 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, and grated cheddar cheese.

    I usually don't like red meat, but I LOVE this taco soup.
    Ruth said...
    I have the same problem. I came across a pretty tasty recipe a few weeks ago. It is a burger, but it isn't just ANY burger. It has a yummy Mexican flavor:

    THE BURGER
    1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
    1 egg
    1/2 onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp crushed coriander
    1/2 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 TBS parsley
    salt and pepper to taste
    Mix all together. Shape in the form of burgers and grill.

    TOPPING
    3 tomatoes, chopped
    1/3 cup onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lime, juiced
    cilantro to taste
    salt and pepper to taste

    Grill the burger, add a slice of sharp cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you want) on top so it melts. Place the burger on the bottom bun, put the topping on the burger, put the top of the bun on the burger, and viola - you have a tasty burger.
    Anonymous said...
    JDUB's favorite saying...."that's right". I know...random. Magic makes a mean beef stroganoff.
    Anonymous said...
    Try Google-ing some of these:

    Taco Ring

    Chili-ghetti

    Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

    Stuffed Green Bell Peppers

    Hamburger Stroganoff

    Swedish Meatballs

    Scandanavian Meatballs

    Tater-tot Casserole (I prefer the one with mushroom soup & frozen mixed veggies, topped w/cheese)
    ============================

    Short-hand Recipes:

    Taco Salad - Toss: lettuce, gr. beef/turkey, cheese, kidney beans, onions (green or red), olives, 1/4" cubed cheese, slightly crushed tortilla chips, catalina salad dressing

    Manwich Sloppy Joe Salad - Layer: shredded lettuce, small fritos, sloppy joe sauce (warm or cooled), cheese, onions (green or red), catalina salad dressing, dollop of sour cream

    Shepherd's Pie - Sauce: 1 lb browned gr. beef/turkey w/onions; add 28 oz. crushed tomatoes, 2 cans green beans, chili & onion powder. Top w/mashed potatoes & cheese. **Casserole variation: brown sliced mushrooms & yellow crookneck squash w/meat/onions & leave green beans out of sauce. Add 2-3 c. cooked elbow or shell pasta instead of topping w/potatoes (everything else is the same). Bake, microwave, or stovetop.

    Layered Enchiladas - Sauce: 1/2 lb. browned gr. beef/turkey w/onions, diced green chiles, sliced olives, 15-16 oz. tomato sauce (reserve 2 Tbsp. for bottom of pan). Spray-oil a deepish round casserole & spread reserved tomato sauce over bottom; layer flour tortilla, sauce, cheese; repeat about 5 times. Top w/picante or taco sauce & sour cream. Bake or microwave.

    Also, to the "Taco Soup", try adding 1-2 Tbsp. "Hidden Valley Ranch" salad dressing or dip seasoning mix - WOW, it makes a big taste difference and it is a fun "secret ingredient"!

    A.Nony.Mouse
    J said...
    Why don't you just skip all this and make some good ole' fashioned Chicken Bread! HA HA HA

    There was a chicken
    His name was fred
    I cut off his head
    now he's dead
    too bad fred... you'll make great bread!!

    Everybody's got a chicken
    but nobody's got a honey bunny tush like you.
    So come and shake it! At the Valentine's dance! Shake it shake it shake it.

    Then of course there is yours and Stacy's masterpiece

    Enchallidas, rice and beans
    Sprinklers in the morning
    chich chich chich
    Haro Family said...
    Here are some of my favorites:

    Delicious Lasagna

    1 box Barilla Lasagna (no-cook type), 2 cups ricotta cheese, 4 cups shredded mozzarella, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1 (32 oz) bag frozen chopped spinach, 2 eggs, 1-2 lbs cooked ground beef or turkey (with onion & seasonings), 1 (4lb) jar Prego spaghetti sauce.

    Blend cheeses (minus 1 cup of mozarella), thawed spinach, meat, & eggs in bowl. Coat a 9x13 pan with Pam and layer ingredients:

    1. 1 1/2 C sauce
    2. 4 lasagna, 1/3 mixture, 1 1/2 C sauce (repeat in 3 layers)
    3. 4 lasagna, remaining sauce, 1 cup mozarella on top.

    Cover w/foil and bake at 375 for 1 hour.

    Italian Calzones

    16 frozen roll dough (Rhodes brand)
    1 lb ground beef or turkey
    2 Tbsp dried onion
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    4 cups Prego spaghetti sauce
    32 pepperoni
    2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

    Thaw dough. Cook beef with onion & seasoning. Flatten 2 rolls together to form an 8" circle. On one half of circle, place 4 pepperoni, 1/8 of beef, & top w/1/4 cup mozzarella. Lift up the other half of the dough over the mixture and pinch edges together, forming a half-circle. Place on a greased roll pan and bake at 350 for 15-20 min (lightly golden brown). Then pour 3 cups of sauce over the top of each calzone. Sprinkle with parmesan.

    My Chili

    1 lb ground beef or turkey
    2 Tbsp dry onion
    1 can (30 oz) chili beans
    1 can (28 oz) tomato sauce
    1 cup mild chunky salsa
    1/2 package mild chili seasoning
    1 small can corn (or 1 cup frozen)
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    salt & pepper
    Cheddar/Jack cheese (topping)

    Brown meat w/onion. Put all ingredients (except cheese) into a pot and cook on the stove for 15 min, or put into a crock pot and cook for a few hours. Top w/cheese.(This is mild enough for kids to enjoy.)
    Mo said...
    Thanks Everyone! I am looking forward to trying out all the new recipes.

    Jackie- I still haven't forgotten those songs! Oh, the good ol' days.

    Kim- I made the taco soup last night and it was a hit! John took some for lunch today and said his co workers were commenting on how good it smelled. Thanks!
    Anonymous said...
    I mean it Mo...try Magic's stroganoff.
    aaburga said...
    I got you covered Mo. My wife is a personal trainer and with that comes the "nutrionist" skills. She can make your usual healthy stuff taste grrrrreat. Do you like egg whites? This might sound nasty; but she puts the egg white in a bowl
    microwave it for 2 mins
    mix
    microwave again for 30 seconds
    ...here comes the trick...
    ADD PACE PICANTE SAUCE.

    Enjoy. Eating that for breakfast helped me lower my body fat percentage. I hope it helps me pass the Bar Exam haha.

Post a Comment