Monday, July 21, 2008
Have I ever mentioned that Orange County has no thrift stores? Okay, maybe only south county. But seriously, it's almost impossible to find a thrift store anywhere past Irvine. So whenever I'm visiting my Mom I make sure to make a few trips to some thrift stores. This weekend I found some particularly good deals.
We stopped by the Salvation Army and I found a chair for my kitchen table for 5 bucks. It needs a little TLC but that's what I'm all about. When we moved I only took two chairs with our table because the other two were slightly broken and I really wanted to buy a whole new set. We bought one red chair when we moved in and now I'm really into the whole mismatched chairs look. I also found a flannel sheet that looks and feels brand new. It was 2 bucks, pink, and has a wintery pattern of snow flakes and snowmen. It will be perfect to make some winter pj's for D.
On the way home we happened to pass an "Estate Sale" aka, garage sale. This woman had tons of sheets and bedding for sale and I found these great vintage like sheets. ( I say vintage-like because I really have no idea what makes something vintage). I fell in love with them right away and immediately thought of making a pillowcase dress when I saw the cute eyelet trim.
I got two flat sheets for a buck! That's a lot of fabric. When I got home I found a tutorial and got to work. Here is the finished project:
My model was not very cooperative, as usual. And shortly after these photos were taken she ate mac n cheese for lunch which resulted with me throwing the dress right into the wash.
It was really simple to make. And if you had an actual pillowcase I'm sure it would be even easier. I've found I really love dresses for Devan because they make everything easier. Diaper changes, laundry, getting dressed, etc.
Perfect summer dress. Pefect for an upcoming hawaiian vacation we have planned. I think I'll make a few more and throw them into our suitcase with a bottle of suncreen and be done. Hope everyone is having a happy Monday!
First, I was not about to go to a swap meet back then and second, you are white! ha ha You were the first white person I've ever gone to a swap meet with. Oh and we went to Ross right? Good times Mo!