Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Secret Ingredient

I discovered this wonderful little surprise one day when making this recipe.


This is probably a common ingredient for more advanced chefs, but I had never used it or heard of it before. It's like chicken bouillon, only better. It's perfect for things like chicken pot pie, or chicken noodle soup, when you don't want to sit around unwrapping twenty little bouillon cubes or use 4 cans of chicken broth.

Everyone in our house has officially caught a little summer cold and the other night I whipped up a batch of chicken noodle soup from scratch and I used the Better Than Bouillon. It was a hit. Devan ate two bowls, including the vegetables! That's rare. And John even said it was the best chicken noodle soup I've ever made. Which is a compliment from him because he has a very "discerning palette" as he likes to say.

I should comment that it is very strong, so if you do use it, make sure you use it to taste. And in the above mentioned Paula Deen recipe, she calls for 1/4 cup of it, which I think is too much. Aside from that, the recipe is great. And you can find Better Than Bouillon in any grocery store. Give it a try!

6 Comments:

  1. J-Dub said...
    Disclaimer: The Wallet family was in no way compensated for the endorsement posted on this blog.
    sheri said...
    I've used that stuff before. It IS great, isn't it? And sorry about the colds.
    Schmath said...
    My mom swears by that stuff. Is it better than canned chicken stock?
    Mo said...
    Schmath, I think it's better. Not for everything, though. I still like to use canned chicken stock for rice sometimes.
    Anonymous said...
    Isn't it kind of strange that Jehremy is friends with Chicken Pa and Eggs Erroneous...both names that have something to do with the product thats on Jehremy's dome. Just a thought.
    Mo said...
    Funny thought, Rob!

Post a Comment