Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Book Review

Wow! Have you read Into The Wild, by Jon Krakauer? If not, you have got to check it out!


(This photo is actually for the film, however the cover of the book is the same picture).

The story is real, about a 24 year old guy who left everything to be a drifter-wanderer type and live off the land. It's really an incredible story. This guy came from a wealthy family and right after college donated the rest of his trust fund ($24,000) to a charity and just dissapeared. He traveled all over the west coast, from Mexico to Alaska and the book tells the stories of all the people he met and came in contact with. He traveled around for about two years or more (I think) and wanted to end his journey with an Alaskan adventure. The sad part is he gets to Alaska and lives in this abandoned bus for several months before dying of starvation. There are so many interesting and ironic points about his story. Like the charity he gave his money to was a charity to help fight hunger-and then he ultimately dies of starvation. He kept a journal and took photos of all his adventures and you can look them up online. Here is what the intro in the book says:

"In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaksa and walked alone into the wilderness of north Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $24,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of posessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself..."

I can't put it down. Devan has watched Mickey Mouse Club House about five times in a row today. My words really don't do it justice. (For the record, if you do read it, I don't necesarilly think that this guy was a hero, it's just a really compelling story). I sometimes find myself reading and forgetting that this actually took place.

If you don't have time to read, you can look up some info on him on the web if you're interested. There are all kinds of pictures from his journeys and the bus he lived in is still in Alaska and hikers and hunters go there to check it out all the time. Anyway, if you are looking for a good, quick summer read, I recommend this!

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I guess this blog entry wasn't a hit. So I thought I'd contribute since i am a major contributor to this blog.
    Mo said...
    Thanks Rob! I guess everyone is too busy reading the book to comment.
    Haro Family said...
    Thanks for the recommendation. I don't watch TV anymore, so I don't know what movies are out there. I LOVE true stories! I will definately have to read this one.

Post a Comment