Tuesday, June 03, 2008

One down, one to go

When we moved I really wanted new bedroom furniture. The bedroom furniture we had was in great shape and completely functional, but I was so over it. I wanted new bedroom furniture so bad that when we moved I didn't take our current furniture with us. And even though I knew we couldn't afford new bedroom furniture, I figured we'd just keep our clothes on the floor in heaps until we could. Well, that got old fast (duh). So we bought one chest of drawers from Ikea. I really wanted to buy another, but we were running out of money and room. Plus, we also needed night stands. I quickly found it was going to be hard to find even a puny little night stand for under $50 so I began looking for alternative ideas. I found these little chest of drawers at ikea for $40 each and figured I could fix them up to match our new chest of drawers and we could use them as night stands and extra storage. And I'm glad I did! Here is how it went down:

Before:

A little sanding:
A lot of staining:
And voila!

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Its always nice when things turn out the way you envision them. So, I now know much more about sanding and staining wood than I did before. Now I need to get started on John's so I can finally put an end to the piles of clothes everywhere!

3 Comments:

  1. J said...
    I LOVE it! This is FANTASTIC. If you go dark you can make anything look amazing! You know those big heavy old dressers people have? Look at this one after some dark stain. Yours totally reminds me of this.
    http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/ViewItem.aspx?pguid=6db6be3f-1720-4ba3-a081-999042c09b6b&itemguid=987af870-ea52-44bf-a01a-f610886ea96b
    sheri said...
    I absolutely love it! You may have just inspired me.
    Meh, who am I kidding? I barely have time for laundry lately. And I don't actually own a sander, lol. Wonder if I can just make the handyman do it...
    Kim Dubois said...
    Mo! You're awesome! I can't believe I switched to google reader like 3 weeks ago and forgot to add you to my list. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Post a Comment