Monday, September 15, 2008

Fighting Nausea

I don't normally drink soda of any kind, but my Mother swears that it helps nausea. She tells me the story of when my sister Quinn was serving her mission in South America she got so sick on a Sunday that her companion called the mission president. The mission president's wife got on the phone and told her companion "I don't care if it's Sunday- go to the store and buy her a coke!"

I heard the same story when I was pregnant with Devan. I couldn't remember if drinking coke helped or not, so I picked up a coke on my way out of the grocery store today. Devan took note as I took my first sip in the car.

Devan: "Mom, I don't like soda".
Me: "I know. I actually don't like it that much, either".
Devan: (placing her hand on her chest)"I am a little girl. I don't eat soda. It makes me sick".

She said it so matter-of-fact I couldn't help but smile. And the coke hasn't done much for my nausea yet.

So- anyone have any good tips on getting rid of nausea?

7 Comments:

  1. Haro Family said...
    Is the rumor really true?! Hooray--I am sooooo excited for you!!!!

    Nausea...oh, that dreaded sidekick. To ease my nausea (and help me not to lose it), I ate small meals constantly--every hour, even when I didn't feel like it. Sometimes things made with ginger seemed to help a little. Good luck. I look forward to finding out how everything is going...
    sheri said...
    Oh hugs! That is my least favorite part of pregnancy. I'd have TWO c/s for each kid if it meant no morning sickness. It was more manageable with Kelly, but Kyle's? Holy crap. I went on disability from work for 2 months, had IVs in the emergency room, etc. I tried everything. And I mean everything. Sucking on lemons. Sniffing/eating raw ginger. Those motion sickness wrist bands. You name it, I tried it. Nothing worked. I do believe they have some great Rx meds out now...Zofran, I think? But I'm pretty sure you have to be vomiting quite a bit before the Dr will prescribe that. But I've heard great things about it for those that have used it. With Kelly, I could only drink water. Nothing sweet. With Kyle, I could only drink soda. Maybe you're having a boy ;)
    Alissa said...
    surefire way to get rid of nausea... wait nine months and give birth.

    seriously, i've tried everything. Zofran did work for me. But nothing else.
    Ruth said...
    Don't brush your teeth. Just kidding. That always put me into a fit of dry heaves. Try protein...cheese, nuts, protein bars. There are also "preggie pops" which claim to ease nausea. I have never tried them, but it is worth a shot.
    Quinn said...
    I was just faking it so i could drink a coke...
    Anonymous said...
    I not sure what would help w/ your nausea, but I know what will make me vomit....watching eggs play COD4 or Tiger Woods golf....man...I dry heave everytime.
    Anonymous said...
    Thought this had posted, but didn't. Lots of advise from the Mums here at work. Mainly, eat soda crackers or something salty before lifting your head from the pillow. Do NOT drink COKE, too much sugar and that is the reason for nausea(?). Drink 7-Up or gingerale and eat lots of protein. Debbie use to eat a bean & cheese burrito in the mornings to help her out. Good Luck

Post a Comment