Friday, September 05, 2008

That's what I think EVERY time I take Devan to a playground, either in a mall or outdoors. And it seems every time I bring something like this up among other mothers, they all feel the same way. So why is it that every time I take Devan to a playground there is some kid who is being mean, some kid who is WAY too big to be in the playground, girls that are being bratty and about 15 school aged kids running a marathon around the poor little toddlers?! It drives me crazy!

Today I promised Devan I would take her to the mall to play because it's way too hot to play outside. Devan may be a handful at home, but she is generally pretty shy and sweet around other kids. The playground at our mall has an abacus (the wooden bead counter things) that Devan loves. I happened to be sitting right next to it so she just plopped down next to me and started playing with the beads. A few mintues later another little girl who looked maybe a few months older than Devan sat down and began playing also. Not only did she totally dominate the toy, but she kept pushing Devan's hand out of the way and giving her mean looks! Poor Devan was being so nice. Finally I said something to the little girl and she went away for about two minutes and then was right back pushing Devan out of the way. Eventually I told Devan to find something else to play with, and as soon as Devan left, this other little girl left. How rude! This whole incident was probably 10 minutes or so, and I kept looking around hoping the little girl's mother would see what her daughter was doing, but no. Seriously, if this mother was actually watching her daughter, how could she watch her repeatedly push another little girl? And if she wasn't watching her, who zones out for more than 10 minutes?? I start to freak out if Devan is out of my sight for more than 10 seconds! What's wrong with these mothers? Taking your kid to the playground does not mean you are no longer responsible for them!

Thank you for letting me vent, internet!

7 Comments:

  1. J-Dub said...
    If I were there I would have found her mother and told her to teach her kid some manners. Then I would have pushed her down.
    Alissa said...
    rude! however, this could easily have been one of my kids... if i've got all four of them at the playplace at the mall, it's a constant counting 1,2,3 (don't really have to count Lucas, yet) to make sure that one of them hasn't escaped to the outside of the play area. i wouldn't misplace my child for 10 minutes, but I might not see them push, simply because i'm watching another one of my bratty kids. however, if i do see them act like a total turd, they are reprimanded. definitely. also, i'm more than happy to let other parents scold my kids for being rude.
    Anonymous said...
    Mo! How dare anyone touch MY grand-daughter, or even look mean at her! However, the teacher in me would have told the girl that her behavior is unacceptable and that she would have to play somewhere else if she could not play nice. And, it is OK to gently stop her from hitting or touching. (As long as you don't smack her!) And, if all else fails, tell her Devan's grandma is on the way and she better look out!
    Jo said...
    Yeah kids suck- good point. Haha. Probably because Devans so freaking pretty the other kid was drawn to the toy- because it looked cool if devan was playing with it...

    I would also like to note while we were in china, we went to a hospital, and i rounded the corned and in this office there was a woman doing the accounting, using an..... ABUCUS... yes.

    Ps. I love your photographs. You make me think I want to get a big fancy camera. hmmmmm.
    Schmath said...
    Maybe it is one of those parents who believes that society will teach the kid. Poor Devan.
    sheri said...
    As far as the older kids in the play area go, you'll see a different side to that when Devan is 5 or 6 and you've got a toddler that needs to run around somewhere (and it's too rainy/hot to go to a park). That said, I'm all over Kyle about making sure he's not running/jumping and is aware of all the little kids. But yeah, when I only had Kyle, I use to get so ticked at the older kids in there. Now? Now I totally understand why some are there. (but I still get ticked at the obnoxious older kids that have no regard for the younger ones) And I hate when there are mean, turd kids in the play areas! Kelly's so nice and friendly, it makes me mad to see others treat her like crap. I also worry about her picking up on their bad behavior, lol. And I've been known to tell my kids to just push them back :)
    Haro Family said...
    Oh yes, and it only gets worse as they get older. The older they get, the brattier these brats get. Yep, their parents start "checking out" when they are really young, and then they seem surprised when their child causes BIG problems when they get older. If other moms aren't going to keep an eye on their kids and correct their misbehavior, you'll do the kid a favor when you let the kid know what they're doing wrong. Some kids just never get taught.

Post a Comment