Monday, September 29, 2008
Every Sunday the youth stand up and we all recite "The Purpose of the Aaronic Priesthood":
* Become converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ and live its teachings.
* Serve faithfully in priesthood callings and fulfill the responsibilities of priesthood offices.
* Give meaningful service.
* Prepare and live worthily to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and temple ordinances.
* Prepare to serve an honorable full-time mission.
* Obtain as much education as possible.
* Prepare to become a worthy husband and father.
* Give proper respect to women, girls, and children.
I feel that I have done, and continue to do, all of these things, but one. Every time I hear "Obtain as much education as possible" I always feel a pang of guilt. I did well in High School, mostly without trying, and then went to UCLA and now I work full time. I am busy with work, church callings and a growing family, and I used those as an excuse to not go back to school.
But as I sat looking at my degree hanging on the wall, listen to the "Purpose" and think about the future I feel this pressing need to go back to school. I would love to have an MBA. I have procrastinated enough.
I long for the challenges of academia and the rigors of scholarly pursuits. It keeps the mind sharp and increases future potential.
OBTAIN AS MUCH EDUCATION AS POSSIBLE!
Think marathon... you can do it. You can do it. You can do it! It's only a test of your endurance, and not really of anything else.
(in my opinion, of course)