Saturday, August 23, 2008

Every time I hear someone say the words “I Hate country music” I seriously want to sit down with them and have a nice little chat. This will be long, but please, especially if you are part of the country hating club, read on.

I’ll admit, I was once part of the country hating crowd. I didn’t think I liked country music until I heard a song in High School that I liked. Still, I wasn’t convinced. I liked the song, but wasn’t sure about country music as a whole. I’d say things like “ I don’t like country music, but I do like that one song…” and then it turned in to “ I don’t like country music, but I do like a few songs” and eventually it was “ Yeah, I do kinda like country”.

You see, I was a hip hop/ r&b girl. I am still a hip hop girl at heart. It was almost all I listened to my whole life.(That and DMB!!) I absolutely loved it. I listened to it almost exclusively until I got married. I began to see and feel myself transitioning into a working woman and wife. The more experience I had in the “real world” the more I found myself needing a little more inspiration at the end of the day. And unfortunately, hip hop just wasn’t cutting it. And there was always this little voice in the back of my head reminding me that hip hop really wasn’t making me a better person, or making my world better. It wasn’t easy, or quick, but I can now say that I almost never listen to hip hop anymore, nor do I miss it. (On this topic- I have to say I’m a little worried about Devan. She knows the entire chorus to “Damaged” by Danity Kane and begs for more when the song is over. She’s definitely got my music genes).

So I needed something to fill the void on my drives to work and school everyday and country music was it. I began to notice that the messages in country music were far more applicable to my life than that of hip hop. The more I listened, the more hooked I became. It was like discovering this wonderful world of inspiration that I never knew existed. I often found myself in tears while driving. I was able to repeatedly hear songs with good, wholesome messages about family, God, love, raising children and getting through tough times. Important things, that are not usually included in non-country music, especially hip hop and rap.

I could really go on forever. There are so many songs that have made me cry because the words are so true. Country music makes me feel good, and it makes me want to be a better person- which is far more than I can say about most of the stuff on the radio today. It’s a refreshing and comforting feeling to turn on the radio and be able to hear artists who are not afraid to sing about things like faith, prayer, and God.

Here are a few of my favorites. You HAVE to watch the video for this one. It reminds me so much of John. He has always been so patient with me, and still to this day will go shopping with me to the stores I know he hates. But he still goes and will just wait for me. Even today, we went to the mall and he watched Devan in the playground while I shopped. And I often hear stories of men who fall asleep while their wives are in labor. Not John. He waited for me and Devan, wide awake, from the moment I went into labor. And this video makes me cry every time when I see the old man dressed in white at the end. I know that is how it will be if John passes away before me. I know I will find him dressed in white waiting for me. Watch the video!

Other videos that make me cry:

Just A Dream
There Goes My Life

Watch them. I dare you not to cry!

8 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Didn't even shed a tear...sorry. Hip hop reigns supreme!
    Tricia said...
    Is that "anonymous" poster you Sheri?! I totally heard New Kids On The Block on your ring tone!! And Mo, I too was once a pop/hip hop/just about anything but country music snob. I converted at BYU thanks to my hick roomates.
    Mo said...
    I don't believe you, ROB. I heard a rumor you've cried over less before!
    Anonymous said...
    I think a video about cheese might make someone cry.
    Anonymous said...
    You got me w/ the cheese video...anyone have a kleenex?
    sheri said...
    Dude, totally not me! And where have you been...my ringtone has been "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" for months now. Pfsht.
    Anonymous said...
    Don't deny it Sheri....it's you.
    Haro Family said...
    I totally agree with you Mo. I used to listen to the same hip hop stuff--it's pretty much meaningless crap now days. The only time we listen to it is when the kids want to boogie. These past few years I've come to appreciate meaningful country music songs.

Post a Comment