Monday, August 04, 2008

My New Favorite Store

Home Depot. Can't live without it! I recently discovered a little corner at my local Home Depot that I never knew existed before. A shelf where they put all their returned or messed up paint cans. You can purchase these paint cans they call "Oops" quarts or gallons. An Oops quart is only a buck! And the gallons are only 5! Such a good deal.


I bought this can for fun. The color was nice and I knew I could find something to do with it. Heres what I found:


I found this picture frame along with another I bought at the Salvation Army for a few bucks and painted them.


This frame contains a few sentiments from our recent lifes experiences. A few months ago when we didn't know where we were going to be living, working, etc, John happened to get these fortunes that seemed to give us some hope for the future, even though we didn't typically look to fortune cookies for advice or comfort. And the card is from the bouquet of flowers John's company sent me on his first day. Just a little reminder for us that things always work out, no matter how bleak the future looks!


I like to have pictures and decor that means something to me in my home, rather than a generic picture or artwork that I just bought at a store. I've also framed a poem John wrote when we were dating, his missionary tags, diploma, wedding certificate from the temple, an amazing painting of myself, done by my good friend Jo, and much more. (BTW- I wouldn't have framed a picture of myself for fun. This is actually a portrait, and Jo is such an amazing artist it would be silly of me not to frame it. It really deserves it's own post and hopefully will get it soon!) Back to my post-



Heres my most recent endeavor. Before:



This is a drawer from a nightstand that is currently in my Mom's house. It is part of a whole bedroom set that belonged to my grandmother. My mom wanted to get rid of it and buy new furniture. I took it off her hands. Well, one drawer at a time, at least.


After:

I really like the end result, however I'm afraid I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the entire set. The hardware is going to be the most expensive part- the handles I chose are $3 each. I think I've got 12 drawers total, which sure beats the cost of buying a brand new bedroom set which would probably cost me $1000+.

Look for me at Home Depot. I'll be there a lot until this project is finished!

2 Comments:

  1. J-Dub said...
    Wait, I thought you said we were going to do whatever the cookie told us to do?????
    Anonymous said...
    Did you use the numbers on the fortune to buy some lotto tickets?

Post a Comment